Good news & less restrictions for Santa Cruz homeowners who want to build an Accessory Dwelling Unit (other wise known as ADUs, Granny Flats, Inlaw Units).
Here are the approved amendments adopted for ADU’s at the Santa Cruz City Council’s meeting on Feb 26th meeting:
- Eliminate parking requirements for ADUs;
- Eliminate the requirement for a Minimum Parcel Size (ADUs can now be added to any size lot);
- Allowing ADUs by right in all Residential Zones, when built with a single family home;
- Eliminate requirements for Use Permits/Design Permits for ADUs on substandard lots;
- Allow ADUs above garages to provide setbacks of 5 feet to side and rear lot lines (previously required minimum of 10 feet from the rear);
- Allow full reconstruction of existing structures(previously limited to 50% of the structure) to qualify for the fee exemptions allowed under state law for Conversion ADUs;
- Allow expansions of Conversion ADUs of up to 120 square feet of floor area and 2 feet of height to qualify for the fee exemptions allowed under state law;
- Allow interior connections between an attached ADUs and the Primary Home on the parcel; and
- Change the definition of Owner-Occupant to include immediate family members (limited to Spouses, Siblings, Parents, and Adult Children), so a property owner can have a family member living on the property manage the property and any tenants.
For more information on ADUs, read here.
#InlawUnits #AccessoryDwellingUnits #GrannyFlats in #SantaCruz